IAHPC Hospice Palliative Care News Digest, September 2020
2020; Volume 21, No 9, September
Table of Contents
- Message from the Chair and Executive Director Lukas and Liliana give a foretaste of notable October events, including World Hospice and Palliative Care Day.
- Policy and Advocacy Building on accomplishments: Dr. Katherine Pettus describes four important ongoing initiatives involving UN Agencies.
- Guest Advocacy Column The view from here: Harsh Vardhan Sahni brings a fresh eye and hopeful vision to palliative care in these challenging times.
- COVID-19 Members’ Survey Nearly ⅓ of respondents lacked PPE, and only 16% felt safe when caring for COVID patients. These and other results from the recent IAHPC survey.
- IAHPC News & Calendar
- Clinicians take note: IAHPC and FEMBA announce a new initiative — a database for first palliative care consults.
- Every dollar counts: Your donation will be matched during Global Giving’s Little by Little campaign.
- EAPC’s generous gift: 10 IAHPC members to “attend” the European Association for Palliative Care online research congress.
- World Hospice and Palliative Care Day — an annual event — takes place on Saturday, October 10.
- Reader Recommended: A free training course imparts fundamental knowledge.
- Member Recognition Awards deadline is October 31.
- What’s New in the IAHPC Calendar
- In other news “Consultant calls” for clinicians offered by the U.S. Centre to Advance Palliative Care.
- Featured Story Dr. Nahla Gafer reflects on how COVID-19 has changed the way we die.
- IAHPC Book ReviewsBook of the Month COMMUNICATION IN PALLIATIVE NURSING. 2e: The COMFORT Model A thorough but readable review covering all aspects of communication in palliative care.Other Review PEDIATRIC PALLIATIVE CARE Detailed discussions of management possibilities for 38 difficult clinical situations in pediatric palliative care.
- Lessons from the LiteratureUnder My Microscope IAHPC Research Advisor Dr. Tania Pastrana selects an article on deprescribing.
Media Watch: The ICU and ACP A selection from Barry Ashpole’s weekly selection from the palliative care literature.
- We Choose IAHPC! Longtime and Lifetime members tell us why their IAHPC membership is so important to them.
- Membership Matters
- New & Renewing Members’ List
- List of Donors
MHA, Executive Director