The Continuing Care and Palliative Care team from Hospital Clínico de la Universidad de Chile submitted the winning poster in the COVID-19 category at the recent ALCP mini-conference, Jornada Virtual. They are (L-R): Palliative Care Director Dr. Alejandra Palma Behnke, student nurse Francisca Bello Hormazábal, Dr. Guillermo Lorca Chacón, clinical psychologist Cristina Ávila Ramírez, Dr. Fernando Ihl Mena, and Father Ignacio Cavieres. Photo used with permission.
Table of Contents
- Message from the Chair and Executive Director Lukas and Liliana take a moment to touch on the terrible toll that COVID is taking in India, then describe the structure of the recent palliative care roundtable with WHO Director General Dr. Tedros, cohosted by IAHPC.
- Policy and Advocacy Dr. Katherine Pettus reports on a busy month, including two IAHPC side events at UN meetings (one on the palliative care needs of older persons during the pandemic, the other on access to essential palliative care medicines), and a palliative care roundtable with the WHO Director General.
- IAHPC Scholars’ Reports from the Jornada Virtual organized by the Latin American Association of Palliative Care (ALCP), and IAHPC Poster Contest winners—with their prizewinning posters.
- The 2020 Palliative Care Atlas for Latin America, Second Edition has been launched.
- The IAHPC Photo Contest deadline has been extended to August 31, 2021.
- Reminder Apply to become an IAHPC Scholar to the online EAPC, Oceania, or Asia-Pacific online conference—with zero extra expenses involved, it has never been more affordable.
- In other news Submit your unsung hero to the Global Palliative Care Heroes campaign; nominations end May 31 for Leadership Education in Palliative Care Award; free online tools for Indigenous peoples; CAPC adds to free online resources.
- What’s New in the IAHPC Global Directories Education, and Institutions/Organizations
- What’s New in the IAHPC Calendar
- Featured Story Though Harmala Gupta longed to be home in New Delhi when diagnosed, her experience of being treated for cancer in Canada laid the foundation of India’s CanSupport.
- IAHPC Book Reviews by Dr. Roger WoodruffPalliative Care Book of the Month DYING WITH EASE: A Compassionate Guide for Making Wiser End-of-Life Decisions A useful book to help the terminally ill become more informed and at peace with dying.
- DYING IN GOOD HANDS: Palliative Massage and the Power of Touch Therapeutic massage in palliative care, presented in a manner that family members or hospice volunteers can follow. Very impressive.
- INNOVATIVE APPROACHES TO CHRONIC PAIN: Understanding the Experience of Pain and Suffering and the Role of Healing 14 essays by experienced clinicians looking and thinking outside the prescribed box.
- FAST FACTS FOR THE HOSPICE NURSE, 2nd ed.: A Concise Guide to End-of-Life Care I would have liked to see more about symptom palliation and clinical care.
- IAHPC App Review by Dr. Romayne Gallagher: Fast Facts
- Lessons from the LiteratureUnder My Microscope This month’s article chosen by Dr. Tania Pastrana tests two ratios for parental to oral methadone switching.
Media Watch: Education by Barry Ashpole
- Membership Matters
- A Deep Dive: A chart showing IAHPC’s Asia membership by country
- Members’ Impact
- Members in this month’s newsletter
- New & Renewing Members’ List
- List of Donors
MHA, Executive Director