IAHPC Hospice Palliative Care News Digest, January 2020
Photo credit: S. Hermann and F. Richter, Pixabay
Table of Contents
- Message from the Chair and Executive Director Hot off the press! Publication of the Palliative Care and COVID-19 Series Briefing Notes Compilation. Also, a reminder that members can access (and contribute to) the Global Palliative Care Database for free.
- From the Editor Luck? Good timing? One heartfelt letter may have improved palliative care in a Canadian long-term care residence.
- Policy and Advocacy Dr. Katherine Pettus reports on the end-of-year Commission on Narcotic Drugs session, an organizing meeting for the Western Pacific region, a board member’s video at the UN, and preparations for the 148th meeting of the WHO Executive Board.
- Guest Advocacy column Dr. Chamath Fernando on palliative care training being developed for primary care physicians in Sri Lanka.
- IAHPC News & Calendar
- December fundraising results
- GLAD on hold; watch for an update in 2021
- Reader Recommended: 2 must-read books
- New Terms in Pallipedia COVID-19 and telehealth terminology predominate
- New Listings in IAHPC Calendar of Events
- Featured Story Julia Downing’s personal reflections on palliative care during COVID-19.
- IAHPC Book ReviewsPalliative Care Book of the Month
PHYSICIAN-ASSISTED SUICIDE AND EUTHANASIA: Before, During, and After the Holocaust Both outstanding and disturbing, the best book I have seen on this topic and the best to have crossed my desk in 2020.
GLOBAL PALLIATIVE CARE: Reports from the Peripheries 2015-2020 A collection of stories, blogs and reflections advocating for global palliative care.
PALLIATIVE SKILLS FOR FRONTLINE CLINICIANS: Case Vignettes in Everyday Hospital Medicine A collection of clinical cases, giving both the conventional (do everything) approach and the palliative approach.
NARRATIVE MEDICINE IN HOSPICE CARE: Identity, Practice, and Ethics through the Lens of Paul Ricoeur A discussion of narrative medicine and meaningful communication in palliative care.
HOSPICE PALLIATIVE HOME CARE AND BEREAVEMENT SUPPORT: Nursing Interventions and Supportive Care A practical resource for nurses working in hospice palliative care in peoples’ homes and in the community.
CONTEMPORARY EUROPEAN PERSPECTIVES ON THE ETHICS OF END OF LIFE CARE A collection of essays on the bioethics of end of life care. Some good, some…
- Lessons from the LiteratureUnder My Microscope Duration of palliative care before death comes under IAHPC Research Advisor Dr. Tania Pastrana’s microscope.
Media Watch: Guidelines Barry Ashpole highlights guidelines for triage and GPs, as well as a mixed bag of other articles of note.
- Membership Matters
- Who Are They? A breakdown of IAHPC members’ professional fields.
- Member’s Impact: Highlighting notable works by members.
- Members in this newsletter
- New & Renewing Members’ List
- List of Donors
MHA, Executive Director