IAHPC Hospice Palliative Care News Digest, April 2020
Table of Contents
- Message from the Chair and Executive Director Liliana and Lukas describe a new web page of COVID-19 resources, a series of briefing notes being compiled, some good news regarding changes to the IAHPC board, and more.
- Policy and Advocacy Advocacy for essential palliative care medicines goes into high gear as COVID-19 ravages fragile health care systems. Dr. Katherine Pettus reports on policy progress at a recent UN Committee on Narcotic Drugs meeting and suggests how to move forward with implementation.
- IAHPC News & Calendar
- IAHPC launches a dedicated web page, Palliative Care and COVID-19, a compendium of online resources and a link to each.
- From the Frontlines: Members’ reports on their local COVID-19 situations are welcomed. In this issue: Malaysia & South Africa. These reports will also be housed on the IAHPC website here.
- Dr. Felicia Knaul joins the IAHPC Board.
- Our 2019 Annual Report is now online.
- IAHPC earns highest GuideStar rating.
- Reader Recommended: An autism and health care resource.
- 6 new definitions have been added to Pallipedia.
- Changes to IAHPC Calendar of Events listings.
- Featured Story Families’ financial rehabilitation as part of palliative care: CanSupport’s initiative in India, a feature written by its President and IAHPC Board Member Harmala Gupta.
BOOK OF THE MONTH
HANDBOOK OF PERINATAL AND NEONATAL PALLIATIVE CARE: A Guide for Nurses, Physicians, and Other Health Professionals A practical handbook for clinicians.
- CULTIVATING THE DOULA HEART: Essentials of Compassionate Care A little gem of a book, very relevant to palliative care.
- A FIELD MANUAL FOR PALLIATIVE CARE IN HUMANITARIAN CRISES Is it beneficial to transplant what we know as palliative care in developed countries into the management of humanitarian crises?
- HOSPICE AND PALLIATIVE CARE ACUPUNCTURE The utility of acupuncture in hospice and palliative care.
- FAMOUS LAST WORDS: An Anthology A collection of some Last Words.
- Lessons from the Literature
- UNDER MY MICROSCOPE IAHPC Research Advisor Dr. Tania Pastrana selects an editorial on managing COVID-19 in LMICs.MEDIA WATCH: COVID-19 A triage flow chart for low-income settings, and palliative care in the ER are two articles that Barry Ashpole highlights in this issue.
- Introducing… the Portuguese Association of Palliative Care (APCP)
- Membership Matters
- Meet Julia Libreros, your Coordinator of Directory Services.
- Celebrating our Lifetime Members: 2000-2003
- New & Renewing Members’ List
- List of Donors