IAHPC Hospice Palliative Care News Digest, February 2021
Table of Contents
- Message from the Chair and Executive Director Our opinion of the new WHO guidelines for the management of chronic pain in children.
- Policy and Advocacy Dr. Katherine Pettus delivers good news from the WHO Executive Board meeting, including this: palliative care is in the final text of a resolution on essential services for people with disabilities. Plus other advocacy news, including a call for input on age and gender discrimination in palliative care.
- IAHPC News & Calendar
- How to extend your membership up to 2½ years at no cost
- Join IAHPC? Why not!
- Also: EAPC is accepting abstracts for its congress until Feb. 14, 2021; two free, online, reputable sources of information for health care workers during COVID-19; and the Kenya Hospices and Palliative Care Association seeks an executive director.
- What’s New in the IAHPC Calendar
- Featured Story Promoting resilience, preventing burnout— approaches to help you design your best tactics.
- IAHPC Book Reviews by Dr. Roger WoodruffPalliative Care Book of the Month COMMUNITY PALLIATIVE CARE AND COVID-19: A handbook for clinicians who care for palliative patients with COVID-19 in community settings A clear and useful picture of the interface between community palliative care and COVID-19.
- USING GUIDED IMAGERY AND HYPNOSIS IN BRIEF THERAPY AND PALLIATIVE CARE Brief therapy to help patients cope and improve their psychological well-being.
- EMBRACING LIFE AND GATHERING WISDOM: Theological, Pastoral & Clinical Insights into Human Flourishing at the End of Life Patient spirituality viewed from a slightly different angle.
- PROVIDING HOME CARE FOR OLDER ADULTS: A Professional Guide for Mental Health Practitioners About geriatric mental health practice within the patient’s home.
- THE HOSPICE HERITAGE: Celebrating Our Future A 1999 celebration of hospice care in the USA.
- RELIGIOUS LITERACY IN HOSPICE CARE: Challenges and Controversies I found this book very difficult to read.
And Something Different…
- PARTING WORDS: 9 Lessons for a Remarkable Life Thoughts of a centenarian who survived an appalling childhood.
- App Review Pallikare, an Android app developed in India for clinicians
- Lessons from the LiteratureUnder My Microscope IAHPC Research Advisor Dr. Tania Pastrana highlights an article on low-dose methadone as an add-on to opioid therapy when treating cancer.
Media Watch: COVID-19 Barry Ashpole selects articles on: treating patients with specialized PC needs at home, COVID patients’ home care needs, and psychological risk factors following COVID-19 deaths.
- Membership Matters
- IAHPC members: breakdown by country income
- Members’ Impact
- New & Renewing Members’ List
- List of Donors
MHA, Executive Director